An interesting week this has been. Four new television series based on comics have been announced. Actually, is that interesting? I’m torn between calling that cool and unusual.
May 4, 2014
- SNL – Watch Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and… Chris Martin from Coldplay redo a kissing scene.
- Star Wars VII – Watch a video of J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan wishing us all a happy “Star Wars Day” – May the fourth be with you.
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – Tops the US box office with an estimated $92M.
- Bryan Singer – More sex abuse scandals sprout. Meanwhile evidence surfaces that could provide proof of innocence.
- Doctor Who – An odd copyright issue request on YouTube by the BBC leads some to believe that the lost serial Power of the Daleks may have been found.
- Star Wars VII – A new casting call goes out for people with “interesting looks.”
- Arrow – Season 3 may include more China White.
May 5, 2014
- Star Wars VII – A possible first look at Chewbacca, although I doubt it.
- Attack on Titan – If you haven’t seen Attack on Titan yet, WATCH IT NOW, as Crunchyroll will be putting it on Hiatus for a few months starting May 20.
- Gotham – A full series for the pre-Batman show has been ordered by Fox.
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – If the post-credits scene hadn’t been of X-Men: Days of Future Past, check out what it would’ve actually been. Spoilers obviously.
- Gotham – First full trailer released.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past – Box office guesstimates assume it’ll open with a staggering $125M!
May 6, 2014
- Doctor Who – Former showrunner, Russell T. Davies, addresses (and defends) the questionable half-human Eighth Doctor.
- Star Wars VII – The latest rumor claims it will be called ‘The Ancient Fear‘.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – Aaron Taylor-Johnson was originally skeptical of the need for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.
- Doctor Who – Having passed on the reins to Peter Capaldi, Matt Smith finds himself jealous of Series 8.
- Interstellar – Christopher Nolan’s new SciFi film, Interstellar, gets it’s first teaser poster.
- Sinister Six – Director of both Amazing Spider-Man flicks states he wants to see Kraven the Hunter as a member of the Sinister Six, along with possibly Mysterious and Scorpion.
- Comics – Check out the trailer for the upcoming Marvel Comics event: Original Sin.
- Star Wars – Bob Iger, Disney CEO, claims that (alongside the latest trilogy) there are “at least 3″ spinoffs planned.
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – Turns out isn’t that amazing after all. Bad word of mouth will probably leave Spidey to fall to #2 at the box office once a Neighbors hits.
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Bob Iger, Disney CEO and representative, claims that GotG has a strong franchise potential.
May 7, 2014
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – Remember how Shailene Woodley was supposed to show up playing Mary Jane Watson in the film? Well this is why she was cut.
- Pokémon – Nintendo announces Pokémon Omega Ruby version and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire version for the 3DS.
- Power Rangers – Now that Power Rangers is celebrating its 20th anniversary, Haim Saban and Lionsgate announced that they will reboot the Movie franchise.
- Avengers S.T.A.T.I.O.N. – Check out some concept art of the upcoming and (dare I say) highly anticipated new Times Square exhibit.
- Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Our first glimpse at Jennifer Lawrence’ Katniss Everdeen on set for the upcoming film(s).
- Frozen – Is now the highest grossing 3D film in Japanese history (and it’s not even Japanese!).
- X-Men: Days of Future Past – Tweets are flooding in of early fan reactions to DoFP, and so far they’re resoundingly good. Also, Singer promises more X-Men in Apocalypse.
May 8, 2014
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes – Two new trailers released for Matt Reeves film.
- Pokémon – The two new games, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, are “full remakes.”
- Doctor Who – According to The Radio Times, Capaldi’s performance echoes that of Pertwee, and he’s set to become “one of the best Doctors ever.”
- Gotham – Showrunner, Bruno Heller, confirms the Joker.
- Gotham – Bruno Heller also claims that the show will surpass the films.
- The Flash – Picked up by The CW, along with iZombie. The Carrie Diaries, The Tomorrow People, and Star-Crossed have been dropped.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. – Has been renewed for a second season, and Agent Carter has been picked up by ABC.
- Transformers – Celebrates it’s 30th Anniversary.
May 9, 2014
- Doctor Who – Matt Smith will happily return to the series is he’s asked to, most likely for the 60th anniversary.
- Doctor Who – Rumor has it that the much maligned switch from 5 inch action figures to 3.75 inch will be discontinued.
- Wolverine 2 – Hugh Jackman claims they have the storyline they want the movie to mine from ready to go.
- Star Trek 3 – Roberto Orci is now the “clear frontrunner” to helm the next Trek film.
- Akira – Check out this unbelievably realized fan-made trailer of the could-be film based on the 1980s cyberpunk manga/film.
- The Flash – First posters and logos for The Flash and iZombie surface.
- Gotham – Check out the first cast photo.
- RWBY – Watch Rooster Teeth’s third production video for Volume Two of critically acclaimed webseries RWBY, featuring Jessica Nigri.
May 10, 2014
- Mission: Impossible 5 – Will Staples will be used to write the script.
- Jellyfish Eyes – Check out the official trailer for what is essentially the live-action version of Pokémon.
- Agent Carter – The first poster for Marvel’s Agent Carter TV series gets released.
- Star Trek – The award-winning audio drama series, The Continuing Mission, is set to return.
- Wolverine 2 – An interview with Hugh Jackman makes it seem likely they’ll film X-Men: Apocalypse and the Wolverine sequel back to back.
- X-Men – The original cast may return for another adventure after X-Men: Apocalypse.
- Daredevil – The Netflix TV series, one of the four planned Defenders shows, Daredevil will apparently “not erase the memory” of the film. Joe Quesada is certain it’ll be it’s own beast though.