Due to major technical difficulties yesterday the brunt of my work on this roundup was deleted, so the post was delayed a day. Sorry for any inconvenience, dear readers. Also, I’d like to point out that lately I haven’t had much time to spend on my blog due to work picking up and maintaining my life. It may be a few weeks before I get everything sorted so as to return to posting more regularly, so bear with me. I appreciate all your comments, so please keep ‘em coming.
A brief rundown on what’s new with me – my girlfriend and I have started reading Brandon Sanderson’s The Way of Kings (part of the Stormlight Archive – a planned 10 book fantasy epic) and I’m loving it so far. Let’s see… S.H.I.E.L.D. this week was a bit lackluster, Arrow was over the top but enjoyable, the 100 actually had me fighting back tears, Joffrey is dead, started a new anime series called Brynhildr in the Darkness (currently my only series for the Spring 2014 season), and… That’s about it. Haven’t had time to catch up my Godzilla marathon, or check to see if those antique books are worth anything, or post the last few posts in my Books I’ve Been Bequeathed series – but when I get time I’ll get on top of it. I plan to do an episode by episode review of Attack on Titan season 1… That’s about it on the geeky side of my life at the moment. Again, sorry for the delay. Here’s the top geek news I found this week!
April 13, 2014
- Doctor Who – Matt Smith believes that out of series’ 5-7, the fifth had the best storytelling.
- Batman vs. Superman – The film plans to open earlier in the UK on Friday April 29th, 2016.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Remains #1 at the box office a second weekend outperforming Rio 2.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – Paul Bettany talks about how he switched from J.A.R.V.I.S. to the Vision, and teased his many abilities.
- Star Wars VII – A popular rumored candidate for a role, Benedict Cumberbatch denies any involvement.
April 14, 2014
- Game of Thrones – My personal favorite band for many years, Sigur Rós, an Icelandic group, featured in Sunday’s episode. Hear the full version of their cover of The Rains of Castamere.
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn – Makes it’s way onto the PS4 with a new launch trailer.
- The Amazing Spider-Man – Carnage will likely appear in the proposed ‘Venom’ spinoff flick.
- Fantastic Four – Toby Kebbel confirms that he’ll be playing Doctor Doom in Fox’s upcoming reboot.
- Doctor Who – Series 8 filming set pics gives us a glimpse at an upcoming episode that deals with [spoilers] the merry-men from Robin Hood, in an episode penned by Mark Gatiss with the tentative title of “Robots of Sherwood“.
- Batman vs. Superman – Cast reportedly headed to Detroit Michigan to begin shooting.
April 15, 2014
- Doctor Who – Tom Baker, last seen cameoing brilliantly in The Day of the Doctor, would consider returning again.
- Batman vs. Superman – Hans Zimmer will be scoring the Man of Steel sequel.
- Sinister Six – producer Matt Tolmach says the classic sinister six lineup may not be “sacred”.
- A Brony Tale – A new documentary about the lives of “bronies,” a faction of adult male fans of the children’s cartoon My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
- X-Men – Channing Tatum has met with Fox for a potential Gambit role.
- The Amazing Spider-Man – Andrew Garfield states that a defining feature of Peter Parker is that he’s Jewish… Wait what?
- Fairy Tail – Good news Fairy Tail fans! Crunchyroll adds episodes 1-12 and 49+ to their catalogue. Plans for episodes 13-48 to be released in the future.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past – The 3rd and final trailer has been released.
April 16, 2014
- Heroes: Reborn – Spinoff of 2006 television series “Heroes”, Reborn will begin as a prequel webseries.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past – Anna Paquin WILL be in Days of Future Past, reprising her character as Rogue.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe – Kevin Feige confirms that the MCU does own the rights to the character Kingpin, but shares these rights with Sony.
- Crunchyroll – Popular anime and Japanese drama streaming service, Crunchyroll, now introduces KDrama.com!
- The Hobbit – Previously thought to be titled “There and Back Again,” new rumors claim the third film’s title has been changed to “Into the Fire.”
- The Amazing Spider-Man – The Spider Slayers and Black Cat could feature in future Spider-Man films.
- Star Wars VII – This image of what appears to be the base of the foot of an AT-AT is rumored to be our first official set footage.
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – The post-credits scene is actually a clip from X-Men: Days of Future Past, odd enough.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Passes $500M in worldwide box office.
April 17, 2014
- Attack on Titan – Volume 13 of the manga sells 1.4 million copies in its first week.
- Batman vs. Superman – Zack Snyder geeks out about seeing the “Trinity” (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman) in costume.
- Doctor Who – Series 8 set pictures reveal on location castle and some pretty cool costumes. Most likely the Sherwood castle.
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – Opens internationally with a bang. $5.5 million in overnight showings internationally.
April 18, 2014
- Arrow – The Executive Producer of the series teases that next season will have a “different tone“.
- Big Finish – Three BF audio dramas, Dark Shadows: The Phantom Bride, The Flip Side, and Blake’s 7: The Armageddon Storm have all been nominated for a Scribe Award.
- Doctor Who – Classic Who finally airs on the Horror Channel.
- Batman vs. Superman – Zack Snyder talks about Captain America 3 competition.
- Doctor Who – More filming pics of the episode tentatively titled Robots of Sherwood.
- Sailor Moon Crystal – The 20th anniversary anime series based off the popular manga, Sailor Moon Crystal’s main cast gets announced on April 27.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past – Due to alleged rape accusations, Bryan Singer has dropped out of all promotion for the film.
April 19, 2014
- Doctor Who – John Barrowman claims there is more to tell with Captain Jack Harkness.
- X-Men: Apocalypse – Sir Patrick Stewart teases that he may return for the sequel.
- Heroes: Reborn – Hayden Panettiere might not return.
- Doctor Who – The Name of the Doctor, The Day of the Doctor, and The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot have all been nominated for a Hugo award under ‘Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form’.
- Bioshock – Sony registers several Bioshock movie domains.
- Batman Beyond – New animated short by Darwyn Cooke is now online.